Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I am scared


I am terrified of the Broad Street Run on Sunday. Much like the Derby Festival Mini-Marathon, this is the race that Philadelphians come out to support, and I want to be a part of it. I have no problem with the distance (I've run several 8 milers this year without trouble), but I am scared for my left leg. The shin splint has improved a lot since my 5K race last week, but I still find myself with generalized achiness in my calf at the end of the day. The pain I had trying to finish the 5K was nearly unbearable. It also gets aggravated by non-impact exercise like biking and swimming.
I am surrounded daily by a posse of orthopaedic surgeons who tell me not to run on Sunday for the risk that I might have a stress fracture in my left tibia (x-rays are negative but have a high false negative rate). I just really want to run. My thinking is this, if I can make it halfway there, I'll be at my hospital anyway, so I can just admit myself. I just can't bear the thought of wasting the $25 entry fee. Stupid, I know.
Here's to chugging ibuprofen and lots and lots of ice.

2 comments:

The Bakers said...

Dude, I will send you $25.00. Don't run. How do you ever expect to get better? And no this isn't your mother talking, just the voice of reason....

Scott Lundgren said...

Seriously. Jenn, you're a nut job. Don't run. You have this wonderful confluence of being both a runner & a doctor two labels that in my observations of being a runner and my best friend's wife a doctor have a notoriously high aptitude at ignoring sane practical advice.