Friday, April 18, 2008

Triathlon Update - Running

Before I finished swimming in college, I had pretty much never run more than a mile at any given time. The times I had tried it, I ended up hurting like crazy for the next several days and it didn't really seem worth it. I also did not own a real pair of sneakers until I was 21 (Chucks are not real sneakers,at least, not for the past 30 years). After my final college meet in 2000, Darren suggested that I take up running. We did the Rodes City Run (10K) that spring and I did pretty well despite having minimal to no training. I did the Triple Crown of Running (5k, 10K, 10mi) a few years later.

Since I've started residency, running has been the easiest of the three disciplines for me to do as it requires minimal equipment and prep time. When I first starting training 8 years ago, I was happy to do 10 minute miles. I am currently able to run sub 8 minute miles when I am doing shorter distances, despite only being able to train a few days a week. I actually ran to my volleyball game (8.1 mi) earlier this week. Much like in swimming, I have an uncanny ability to do exactly the same pace (within a half second or so) for several quarter miles. I just have to remember to set a good pace to begin with.

Tomorrow is the second of my spring running races, the Clean Air 5K along the Schuykill. I'm hoping to do better than I did in my last race where it was butt-freezing cold and I was essentially wearing a parka to run in. Here's hoping for a near 24 minute time.

Sorry I haven't posted my training totals lately. My work time requirements are so high right now I can barely squeeze any lengthy training in. Here's the totals: 128mi run/ 481 mi bike/ 63150 swim.

Update: I just finished the 5K. I went out in 7:45, which is what I wanted, then my shin splints got so bad I couldn't finish. I promised myself I would never walk in a race, but when I tried to run it brought tears to my eyes. My overall time sucked and I won't reveal it here. I then had to limp home from the Art Museum. I have got to get this treated before Broad Street Run or I will be in deep trouble.
Update Part 2: The results of the Race for Humanity 5K finally came out. I finished 10th in women's 20-29 and would have won the 30-39 division by two minutes if I was two months older. Just have to do it next year, I guess.

No comments: