Sunday, May 4, 2008

Bourbon, Big Brown, Backups, Broad Street, and Baseball

Ahhh, Derby weekend was a blast! Things got started yesterday with our third mostly-annual Derby Party. We had our traditional assortment of southern cooking (hot brown, burgoo, Moonlight barbecue, KFC, papa johns), Louisville-ia, and horse racing. About 30 people came, and a good time was had by all. Lots and lots of Bourbon was consumed (cherry coke and Bourbon, diet coke and Bourbon, Bourbon balls, Bourbon soaked Derby pie, straight Bourbon, and of course, mint juleps). Only a few snafus: our kitchen sink is completely clogged, which led to the dishwasher leaking and an inability to clean up after the party. Nothing but eating out and leftovers until a plumber can come (we tried our drain snake to no avail (and we had this same problem last year)). I also am so very sad about the euthanasia of Eight Belles, who ran so well only to break down during cool down. It's the side of horse racing that I absolutely can't handle. I cried the whole Preakness when Barbaro broke down. Here's hoping for a Big Brown Triple Crown.

As for the Broad Street Run, I realized that after still limping on Friday, I was not ready for a ten miler. I went and picked up my $25 t-shirt and bib and toured around the expo they had. I found a booth with Brooks running shoes (which I wear) and asked if they thought my shoes might need replacing (yes, ask a salesperson if I should buy new shoes, duh). We looked at my shoes and it was painfully obvious that they were completely worn down. So I bought new ones. I also looked at booths promoting the Philly marathon and Philly Women's triathlon, and I'll probably sign up for some of those as well (half-marathon anyway). I also realized that biking is the best way to get to the stadiums from my house: 3.8 miles, flat ride, free parking right at the entrance. I was disappointed to miss the race this morning, but it was the right thing to do.


We finished the weekend with plenty of baseball. An attending of mine gave us tickets to the Phillies-Giants game and we biked (again!) to the stadium. It was a perfect day (72, sunny) and the Phanatic was great as ever. As a mother's day special, we were given pink visors and the Phanatic's mom took part in his normal 5th inning act. The Cubs and Cardinals are on Sunday Night Baseball tonight, so we'll be spending the night watching that.



As for the rest of the week, I am on vacation. I'm hoping to get plenty of swimming and biking in, and maybe try to run a little bit later in the week. I also have to fill out my fellowship applications and get some research done (not as much fun).

4 comments:

The Bakers said...

Glad you had a great time Derby Weekend! One of these years I have to drag Aaron down to the ville to experience the madness. I am also glad you decided not to run. I know it sucks to be left out of somehting you signed up for, but I am sure your shins are thanking you! Listen to your body!

The Bakers said...

Aaron says your bike should be called the Ten Speeds of Fury! (I voted for Gozer bike of destruction....)

ralfyves said...

I'm surprised that the Chuddley Cannondale didn't catch more votes from the Harry Potter crowd...

housemdjr said...

i want to go to one of your derby parties