Tuesday, April 1, 2008

A hitch in my giddy-up

Periostitis: Inflammation of the periosteum, a dense membrane composed of fibrous connective tissue that closely wraps (invests) all bone, except the bone of articulating surfaces in joints which are covered by synovial membranes. Also known as shin spints.

Histologic picture of periosteum at left (H&E stain)

Today was the first really great day of weather here in Philly. Late in the afternoon, the sun came out and the temperature was around 67 degrees. I had gotten out of work early (after a mere 9 1/2 hour day), took a nap, and decided to go for a run. Three things should have told me to stick with my original plan of just swimming today: 1) I had ridden the stationary bike at the gym yesterday and my shins were killing me when I tried to run afterwards, 2) it was going to get dark in a few hours, and 3) my headphones shorted out 4 minutes into the run. Ignoring all of these things, I set out to do a good 5-6 miles along the river.

My left shin was hurting as soon as I left the house, but I figured once I got warmed up it would calm down some. No such luck. I ran a brisk 8:30 for two miles and then couldn't lift my foot off the ground. I tried to walk it off for another half mile, but to no avail. So at this point, I am two and a half miles from home, with no cell phone, and the sun is rapidly setting behind me (you do not want to be out in downtown Philly after dark, alone, and phoneless). I kept hoping to pass someone I knew on the trail and borrow a phone, but that didn't happen either. So, I limped the entire way home. I am currently sitting on the couch, left leg wrapped in ice, and not feeling so hot at all. I will be chugging ibuprofen for the next few days (600mg t.i.d.), icing like crazy, and resting this stupid thing into submission.

In better news, I did run my first race of the year in the USP Race for Humanity 5K. I went out too fast uphill and in general felt crappy the whole time, but I did manage a personal best time of 25:02 (which is about 8 minute miles). It was really cold and windy and I'm just glad I got out there to do it (thanks to Nate for encouraging me to sign up).

Triathlon training week 17: run 11.47mi, bike 22.42, swim 3500. I finally passed 100mi running (funny enough, when I ran 8.37 mi last monday, I hit 100.00 on the nose). totals 103.1/445.58/56650.

2 comments:

ralfyves said...

Marco... Polo... Marco... Polo...

Fish out of water. Maybe you should stick with swimming for a while. On a side note, what's up with putting Governor's Scholars as a choice? You know I'm bitter I missed out on the opportunity to meet you, t, and mabake a year earlier. Just think of the racquetball stories we could have shared...

housemdjr said...

If it makes you feel better you know I'm 10x more of a whimp than you. I tagged along for Jeff's workout on Friday and did his ~40 minute routine using about half the weight he did. Today the soreness has subsided a bit. I like swimming better, and I'd do it if I knew where my speedo was...