Tuesday, May 6, 2008

If you can fix a femur, you can fix a flat

I went on my first group ride today with some other ladies from the SheRox triathlon mentor program. Also with us were Nathan and Steve, an employee and the owner of High Road Cycles. It was a very short ride (4.7 mi) at a very slow pace (12mph). But that wasn't the point, learning how to fix a flat was. So, I am now armed the knowledge of how to fix my front tire (forgot to ask how to do the back, but I'm really mechanically inclined, so I'll figure it out) and $68 worth of flat tire fixing equipment. Back out on the roads tomorrow, trying to get to holding 18mph for more than 5 minutes on flat ground. I have also tried running 100 yards, with awful, painful results, so I'm clearly not ready for that yet. Maybe I'll just go swimming instead.


I couldn't find a relevant pic for today, so here's a cute picture of a pony! (really, not a donkey, pic from www.miniatureponycentre.com)

4 comments:

Ben said...

Oh my... first off, that's clearly a donkey and secondly... changing a tire is pretty much the same on the front as the back :)

The big difference here is that if you break a leg in the race, you likely won't be able to fix it yourself. The flat, on the other hand...

Kelly said...

It's close enough to a pony, so shut up, Ben.

And getting a flat on the course is what has me completely freaked out IM Lou. I can change one, but I am really slow, and I'm afraid that will keep me from making the bike cutoff.

Nate Foster said...

68 dollars? Does it give you a back massage while you're changing the flat?

orthogirl said...

no, but I did get a carbon dioxide thingy, a set of allen wrenches, two tire puller-offers, a patch kit, an inner tube, and a neat little saddle baggy!