Sunday, May 11, 2008

On Vegetarianism


I have been vegetarian since October of 1996. I just remember my swim coach ordering sandwiches for an upcoming road meet and I asked for a veggie sandwich. That was it. That was the moment I became an herbivore. I had read books about how awful the meat industry was and how much cholesterol was in eggs and that was pretty much it. I haven't intentionally eaten meat since (every once in a while, I'll take a bite of something innocent-looking and think, "uhh, that's ham"). I don't care if other people eat meat, I try not to be a pain in the ass when choosing restaurants for ortho outings, and I don't want people to worry about what to make me for parties and such. I bring this up after my husband (a card-carrying meat eater) sent me this article. I found it interesting and agree with almost everything in it.
And Happy Birthday to me (5/12)

2 comments:

ralfyves said...

Don't I get some credit for eating (and cooking) vegetarian meals more than half the time that I eat? I consider myself veggie-friendly. I liked the article because it does try to dispel most myths about vegetarians as far as their attitudes toward omnivores and people's perception that somehow vegetarianism is unhealthy.

Mark Baker said...

Admit it..... you liked the ham! (That's the least offensive "you like meat" joke I could make and keep it family-friendly.)

Seriously, enjoy your 30th tomorrow!