Monday, December 3, 2007

New Goal for the New Year


Okay, I am starting to realize that maybe I am not in as good of shape as I used to be. It is hard working 70-90 hours a week to get on and stick to any type of training regimen. I maybe work out an hour or so a week, either a run or a swim. If sitting on my butt watching TV was training, I'd be all set. So, I've decided to enter a triathlon to give me a goal to train for. I'm going to try a Philadelphia all-women's triathlon in August called the SheRox (I didn't come up with the name, thankfully). See more at http://www.sheroxtri.com/home_4.htm.

Here's the plan, for the next 3 months starting in January, I am on a pretty easy rotation, meaning most of the time I will work about 10 hours a day. I will be taking in-hospital call about once a week or so, but I will have off the next day. The rule will be, if off of work by 7pm, go to the gym for 1 1/2 hours for cardio/stretching. If post-call, sleep if I need to, then one hour at the gym. Workouts will consist of 1 hour of one activity, then 1/2 hour of another. I will probably have to do the one hour runs either late at night or Sunday mornings when the treadmills are empty. The schedule will be a little more dicey once I start back up at Abington Hospital, which is usually a bear of a rotation.

What I need for now is motivation from friends and family, a kick-ass song list for the iPod, and a bike. I can start training outdoors once the weather warms up some (aka March).
Wish me luck

4 comments:

housemdjr said...

I'd say it seems like someone like you should take the time to relax but working out is good way to do that too. Will DMB be able to work out with you? I'm sure you have the perseverance to stay motivated. Good luck. Dr. Casper got back to me, she has handed me over to a Dr. Amy Holthauser which I am waiting for a reply from.

ralfyves said...

I'll participate when they change the triathlon to basketball, football, and volleyball... Otherwise I will occasionally run with her.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Overacheiving as always. Love that about you.