Friday, July 18, 2008

Favorite Pixar Movies



With the recent release of Wall-E, several outlets have begun posting their thoughts of the best Pixar movies ever. Many have considered Wall-E a masterpiece, including myself. It's the first movie in a long time that I've actually wanted to see more than once in the theater (side note, I saw Star Wars Episode I about 6 times in the theaters, and it wasn't even any good, I guess I just had a lot of free time back then). For a studio to produce 9 outstanding movies, improving computer animation techniques while not cutting back on story, is truly impressive in this day and age of crappy CGI extravaganzas. Without further ado, my list of the top Pixar movies ever.
9. A Bug's Life (1998): Easily my least favorite of the Pixar bunch and the only one I don't own on DVD. It's cute in its own way, but it is geared strictly at the under-10 set. The German caterpillar is funny though.
8. Cars (2006): The only Pixar movie I didn't see in the theater and I fell asleep the first time I saw it. I like it in general, but compared to the top 7, it's not even close. I also don't get NASCAR, so maybe that's the problem.

The top 7 get a lot harder...
7. Monsters Inc (2001): It's really hard to put this movie this low, but when you compare it to the other 6 ahead of it, it falls a little behind. Again, part of that may be because it's aimed at a slightly younger set. The scene at the end of the movie when Sulley finds Boo again is about the most touching scene of any Pixar film.
6. The Incredibles (2004): Another fantastic outing by Brad Bird. The story of outlawed superheroes is fantastic, especially the scenes when Frozone and Mr. Incredible are forced to listen to police monitors to fight crime. I also love the scenes of Violet's transformation from wallflower to supergirl (a childhood dream of mine).

5. Ratatouille (2007): I love the story of the gourmet rat, and gosh darn it if Remy isn't the cutest rodent since the great Mickey himself (who is now a corporate shill). The animation is superb, and the story of a rat trying to follow his heart is actually very moving.

4. Toy Story 2 (1999)
3. Toy Story (1995): Okay, these two are more of a tie. I think the story is better in 2, but the concept was so new with the first one. I also love the constant side jokes, like the Binford tool box and the names of the books on the shelf (Knick Knack, Tin Toy, etc). The adult themes are also slyly present, such as when Buzz and Woody discuss spending a lifetime in a landfill together after Andy has grown up.
2. Wall-E (2008): Please see this movie now. If you are unaffected by this robot, you may be one yourself. For the first half of the movie, I somehow didn't get it. Then I began to get the understated brilliance of this film. I will see it again. I will own it on DVD. My kids will watch it 100 times a day and that's okay by me.
1. Finding Nemo (2003): When I was an intern in Chicago, I worked hideous hours, got yelled at a hundred times a day, and I had to deal with a patient population that was way sicker than I like to deal with. The only thing that could cheer me up at the end of a long night of call was this movie. I'd put it on, watch all the pretty colors, and slowly be lulled to sleep. It is not a boring movie by any means, but it is extremely soothing to the stressed out. I quote the movie all the time ("curse you aquascum""I speak whale""Es-ca-pe") and I think it is the ultimate adventure story for a separated father and son (like "The Odyssey").

So, what do you think?

1 comment:

ralfyves said...

I agree that 1-7 are very hard to separate out. My list would be a little different.

9. Bugs Life (kind of unfair, I don't think I've seen this one all the way through)
8. Cars
7. Ratatouille (I really like this one, it hurts to put it so low)
6. Toy Story 2 (I've never agreed that with those that said it was better than the original)
5. The Incredibles (Just really funny, I love the argument between the superhero Mom and Dad over driving directions)
4. Monsters Inc (I really like the story more than Finding Nemo')
3. Finding Nemo (Just so funny, visually stimulating, amazing)
2. Wall-E (I want to see it again to confirm how I feel about it, but as of now, I think it amazing)
1. Toy Story (The single greatest concept for an animated movie ever, perfect in every way, set the standard for Pixar movies to come)

Still, find another studio that is 7 for 9 with creating near perfect masterpieces. Entertaining to the adults as well as the children.