Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Confessions of a Tired Ortho Resident

I'll admit it, my job is pretty cool sometimes. I take broken bones and I fix them. Other times, my job is not so cool. Want proof? I am thirty years old, I now have two gray hairs (bastards!), and I have homework tonight. Not just a math worksheet or a report on the major exports of Arkansas, mind you, but 50 pages of textbook to read. I am also currently at work (it's about 8:15 on a Tuesday night), so this reading is clearly also going to be done crappily or very late at night. I am also blogging, which, as you know, is not reading 50 pages of textbook.
I am also not happy because I am tired. I am usually pretty borderline narcoleptic (seriously, you cannot turn the lights down in a lecture for more than 10 minutes before I assume some slack-jawed, slumped over, come-hither-legs-posed comatose state), but it has been much worse lately. I can now fall asleep while operating (not with the knife, but if I'm not really participating), watching TV at 8 pm, and sometimes while walking. It's become a true hindrance to my ability to learn in lecture, and it's also kind of embarassing to fall asleep at work every day. I can think of two reasons for this: (1) I have mono (2) 5 years of sleeping no more than 5-6 hours a night is starting to catch up to me. I have also been flying all over the place looking for fellowship positions (pediatric orthopaedic surgery, fyi). I have to admit, my favorite spot so far has the fellow taking ZERO call nights and weekends. Goodness knows I need the rest. I would probably spend the extra time training, anyway.
As for training, without any races coming up, it's getting hard to be motivated over the winter. My shin splints also flared back up, so running is out until the inflammation completely resolves this time. I LOVE riding my bike, but I find my lack of suitable riding clothes somewhat embarassing (and somewhat dangerous) at this point. I did finally get gloves to combat the nerve compressions in both of my arms.
Enough complaining for now, gotta get back to my patients.

No comments: