Thursday, October 23, 2008

Choices, Choices




After weeks and months of applying and emailing and interviewing, I have accepted a fellowship position at the Campbell Clinic in Memphis for the 2010 year. Hooray! My parents are so happy to have me back within driving distance (and I'm pretty happy to be back close to my family too). The fellowship came highly recommended by Dr. Herman, who is my favorite attending and who did his fellowship there. It's also great because all of the staff there is so friendly and also very well known within orthopaedic societies. I think I was sold when the attending who picked me up started telling me about how good bike riding was in Memphis and that he was doing an Ironman on Nov 1st. Trust me, having an attending to train for two things with will be awesome.
Other things going on:
1. Bike riding to work is getting very hard. It's been dark in the mornings now for several months, but I combated that problem with a new headlight (in addition to my tail light). It's actually easier to avoid traffic when you have car headlights to look for. The current problem, however, is that it is cold in the mornings now. I can solve most of that by wearing my windbreaker over my jacket, but it's my hands that are freezing. I now need to buy a second pair of full-finger gloves or quit for the winter.
2. No running until next year. Preferably, I would have quit running when I first got injured, but with my triathlons last summer, that wasn't an option and I had to train anyway. But now that there's nothing going on, I'm finally going to let the thing heal. That also means I'm going to have to start using the wimpy elliptical machines that I hate so much (I consider it exercise for girls who don't like to sweat). I have to do something other than bike or swim or I will go bonkers.
3. My sister is only two months away from delivering my first blood-related nephew, and I can't wait! My other sister just recently got engaged and I now have another wedding to look forward to!

2 comments:

Ben said...

Didn't know you were biking to work! That's awesome. Biketober here in Louisville is going pretty well - though I did take a day off today on account of a steady rain.

The cold can be daunting - but a windproof jacket is necessary, as is a wicking base layer. Full-fingered gloves with a windproof mitten are always nice - as are shoe covers or maybe just some wooly socks.

Glad you hear you'll be coming back homeward in 2010!

JoRo said...

CONGRATS!!! Even though I missed out on a BBQ dinner I am so happy for you.
Try Under armour cold gear, it kicks butt for cold rugby games!