Monday, February 25, 2008

Chicago Trip

Darren and I got home from Chicago late last night (this morning, actually). It was great seeing everyone, and we always love to visit the Windy City (even in February). Here's a quick rundown of our activities.

Day 1: We got stuck at Philly's airport for an extra hour while they cleared the runways from the blizzard of '08 (two inches). Sylvia and Niko picked us up at the airport and we drove back to their house on the North Side. We had Giordano's famous Chicago deep dish pizza and turned in to bed early.



Day 2: The highlight of the day was going to Hot Doug's Sausage Superstore for lunch. I'm vegetarian and even I love the place. The line on a cold Saturday was still nearly half an hour to get in the door. Where else can you get hotdogs like wild boar with chipotle dijonnaise and raschera cheese or duck sausage with mandarin oranges? I, of course, got the veggie dog. Here is a funny video of Niko's new favorite game, headbutting relatives.

We spent the rest of the day at Lewis University watching men's volleyball. Darren and Eric may be old and out of shape, but they still think they could play with those guys. They're so cute.

Day 3: We woke up early and had brunch at a cafe near Eric and Sylvia's house. Niko is apparently obsessed with ice water and we have to keep him away from the glasses. We then watched the UofL v Pitt game. The afternoon was spent at the Shedd Aquarium, which is one of my all-time favorite places to go. It was a little over Niko's head, but I think we all had fun. Dinner was at Costa's, my favorite Greektown restaurant. The best saginaki in the world!

Sorry about no sound on the videos, but they were done on my camera.



The sea dragon at the Shedd, a still pic does it no justice

The dolphin show! (just wait, they'll show up)

Triathlon training weeks 11/12: run 3.35 mi/ bike 76 mi/ swim 10700 yd, totals 68.53/230.4/34450 (19mi). Hopefully I can start running again in another week or two.

2 comments:

Nate Foster said...

Hey Jen! I just found your (and D's) blog(s).

Let me know if/when you get a bike and/or if you ever want a pace rabbit for training runs. I'm always looking for people to run with.

housemdjr said...

wow cuteness. he's so big already. nice pics and videos. now I know why Darren had to bring up the kids comment on his blog.