Sunday, August 2, 2009

Life after cable

When Darren and I first got married, we didn't get cable for nearly two years. I was finishing med school, he was finishing his Master's, and we didn't have a ton of money (which hasn't changed). So instead of mind-numbing cable shows, we played cards, played all the Simpsons games on PS2 (Road Rage is fantastic, btw), and watched our favorite shows on DVD. Our parents also loved it because we would come visit whenever we wanted to watch a sporting event on ESPN.
With the coming of the new baby, we have once again decided to cut some costs and eliminate junk such as cable. With Comcast now getting close to $90 a month for basic service, we decided to get rid of it completely. We also switched to DSL to save a few bucks. We bought a TiVo and an HD antenna to continue to be able to record our favorite shows (Lost, 30 Rock, um, and well, Pushing Daisies got cancelled, um, maybe something good will start this fall). We're still working out the kinks with the antenna (we share two walls with neighbors), but I'm hoping we'll have all the broadcast channels soon. We're also getting NetFlix so we can rent the 10 movies I don't have on DVD.
I spent the weekend reading and playing Wii, and I started to remember the good old days before I wasted time with things like Jon and Kate plus 8. Darren is working on a project for the baby, and I'll start my own soon. Here's to well-spent free time!

1 comment:

housemdjr said...

I'm liking life post-cable too. I feel like I'm free of a dependence. However, I still can find myself wasting hours away on hulu. But its at least not watching random crap like cash cab or made.